So you forgot your password and are unable to log into Windows
There are a lot of password reset utilities out there but I found this little utility works exceptionally well. I tested it with Windows XP and Windows 7 and in both cases it reset my password to an empty field.
This program works for:
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
It is supposed to work from NT3.5 up to Windows 7 including 64-bit versions
One more note: If you have EFS encrypted files, once you reset the password you will not be able to recover those files until you remeber the old password again. If you’re not sure then you probably don’t have any encryption so don’t worry about it.
This will only work for the local username, if you are at work joining a corporate network or a domain you will have to speak with your system administrator and he will reset your password.
You can click here to downoad the program or visit the authors website. Once you download the program it will be a file called “cd110511.iso”, you can burn it to a CD by using ImgBurn and then boot your computer from the CD, make sure that you make the approporiate changes in BIOS boot order so your computer boots from the CD first and your hard drive second.
Not to run into any problems make sure to cleanly shut Windows down before you boot from this program, usually at the login screen you should have a “Turn Off Computer” button.
Let’s get started
The program looks complicated but it’s actually very simple, most of the time you just press the Enter key to get to the next step, read the below instructions and you will reset your passwod in no time.
Booting from the CD
1. You have to boot from the CD which involes chaning the boot order in BIOS. This is the first screen that you will see when you boot from the CD or the .iso file.
On this screen just Press Enter
2. It automatically detected your Windows partition,  is the default, Press Enter.
3. It automatically detected the path to the registry, Press Enter.
4.  is already the default, Press Enter.
5.  is already the default, press Enter.
6. [Administrator] is the default user already selected, if you would like to reset the password for another user just type in the username and press enter. If you don’t know your username then it’s most likely Administrator, don’t type anything in just press Enter.
7. Press 1 to Clear the user password (blank), and then press Enter.
8. We still need to save the changes. Type in ! and press Enter.
9. Type in q and press Enter.
10. Type in y and press Enter, this will save the changes we made.
11. Click n and press Enter. Now eject the CD and reboot your computer, don’t type in any passwords as it’s blank.
Congratulations!, you just reset your password.